The Learning Services Department includes our Learning Services Coordinator and a team of trained peer tutors who provide comprehensive services to support student success.
Services and supports include, but are not limited to:
- One-on-one tutoring is available for any subject studied at NECI, as well as for study skills and related areas.
- Quiet study space, including computers, course materials, books, and staff assistance for all students.
- Accommodations and related supports for students with learning disabilities.
- Opportunities to retake tests upon scheduling an appointment.
- Support to help students reach completion and improve their organizational skills.
- Custom tailored services to provide support for both online and on-the-ground NECI students.
Learning Needs & Accommodations
NECI complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the requirements of the State of Vermont. NECI is committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory environment and to providing reasonable equal access to all its services, benefits, and facilities, regardless of the physical or cognitive disabilities a student may have. Prospective students are encouraged to review the Essential Program Eligibility in the Academic Catalog to review the standards which must be met within their respective course of study.
Prospective and current students with questions or requests regarding disabilities and accommodations will need to contact the Learning Services Coordinator in order to begin the intake process – including a review of appropriate documentation of the disability and accommodations request, as well as an interview to review approved supports and accommodations.
The Learning Services Coordinator is committed to working with students to arrive at workable solutions to support their particular needs. It is critical for students needing certain services to discuss their needs with the Learning Services Coordinator as soon as they make their decision to attend NECI, so that there is adequate time to develop and implement appropriate services.
What we can do for you:
- Work with you one on one or in small groups to review what you have learned in class
- Give you time to ask more questions, clarify information or concepts, and practice skills
- Provide visual and manipulative aids to help you learn skills and information in a different way, one that may reflect your learning style more closely.
- Help you with homework assignments
- Assist with writing assignments, from organizing to editing
- Work with you to review and improve your culinary math skills
- Work with you to develop more effective study skills, including note taking, time management and organization
- Review sessions
- Study guides
- Practice tests
- Help you complete or revise projects for courses in which you are incomplete
- Coordinate kitchen and production skills practice and review, under the guidance of a peer tutor
Where and when you can find us?
Learning Services is located adjacent to the Library at 7 School Street. We are generally open during regular business hours, however, we often provide office hours to fit students’ needs, as well as evening study sessions.
Learning Services Coordinator
7 School St.
Montpelier, VT 05602